Friday, June 6, 2008

When it washes... it floods...

So last night I was in my craft room crocheting away when I heard my cell phone go off in the other room... so I spring up to go answer it and as I walk out of my craft room and head toward my kitchen (where the cell phone was last seen) I glance into the bathroom and at first glance I notice that the floor is "shinier" than usual... but before I put two and two together I grab my phone to answer it and head back to the bathroom - on the phone was my Dad - he wanted some info on selling his Austin Healey 3000 on eBay - and as he's rattling off what it is that he wants I realize that the bathroom has flooded - so I yell for my hubby and try to talk to both at the same time. Why I even answered the phone in the first place is beyond me - so I'm trying to talk to Dad and troubleshoot the problem - turns out I told Dad I had to call him back and hung up the phone. Apparently something with the water shutoff with my washer broke and the water just never turned off - so it had been running for about an hour by this time. Hubby turned off the water and we proceeded to clean up the mess. The rugs were soaked and we sopped up water with another 3 towels. Hubby got the shop vac and I found a sponge mop. He took out about a quarter of the water in the tub as I took the wet clothes out and rung them as best I could. Then when the water level was down I tried to turn the washer on again to see if it would at least drain - not realizing that I had to push down the little button that the lid does to make it spin... after I realized that we found that it did empty itself it just won't turn the water off. Even if the turner thingy was in the off position and the water was on water would come into the washer tub.

So... this morning I called our favorite appliance fix-it guru Michelle (he's French) and as I type this I'm waiting for him to show up. Hopefully it won't be too expensive otherwise I guess we'll be shopping for a new washer & dryer this weekend. I kept hoping in the back of my mind that the dryer would go first because I really dislike my dryer. It's heated with propane and it's very HOT - I have no temperature settings on it. I'd love to get a set of those really pretty red Whirlpools but that will be over $2,000!!!!! Yeah, not going to happen!

No comments:

Post a Comment